Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My dreamboat and his petticoats...

I'm sure you are all super worried about the why's and how's of our night on the West End. Stop the presses because your wait is no more. I know this is supposed to be mum's holiday and that she can make all the decisions because I have a WHOLE year to go back and do whatever takes my fancy. But if you have ever tried to travel with my mother you might know that she is not particularly good at making decisions and especially not when under pressure. So as we waited in the line at tkts (as explained in the last updates) it was just too much for my poor old mum, there were just too many choices and the 20 minutes it took to get to the end of the line just wasn't long enough.

Ok so maybe that is not exactly how it happened... Maybe I had already looked up what all the shows where and knew exactly what was going on. But my mother does not like pressure so I was really just helping her out pre-emptively. Seeing as I knew what would be playing and I had had months to pour over the various shows and make an educated decision.

I asked myself:

What have I seen before? (Less importantly – What has mum seen before?)

How long is it playing?

What do I really want to see – Mamma Mia, Wicked, Oliver?

But in the end I made my decision based on eye candy.

Superficial, I know but as it turns out, it was well worth it.

I don't know if any of you saw a show called How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria? If not, it's not really that important... but if you have seen please skip forward to the next marker.

***

I few years ago now the English (rulers of reality TV) created a television show that is basically what I have been waiting for reality TV to make for years. It consisted of 12 hopeful (both professional and unprofessional performers vying for the role of Maria in Andrew Loyld Webber's new production of The Sound of Music. It was fabulous! They sung, they danced, they wore some of the most hideous outfits on television and in the end the British public crowned Connie the winner.

Because we live in at the ass end of the earth it took about three years for the tapes to be sent (by telegram I supposed) to UKTV and it aired last year. I watched it avidly and had I been able to I might have even voted (well probably not, but I might have thought about it). And before you ask, yes I watched it with my mum, but my grandmother was a fan as well. Mum and I would rush home on a Thursday evening to catch the latest performances followed immediately by the eliminations.

I thought this couldn't possibly get any better... I was wrong.

***

The next show they chose to make was Any Dream Will Do? Which followed basically the same premise as Maria only this time they were searching for Joseph in Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat and you know what that means – BOYS! The girls were pretty enough, but there was no real talent and they dressed so badly that it was impossible to find them sexy. The boys on the other hand were definitely sexy. Not all of them of course but as a rule they were much better looking then the girls.

Now if you ask my mum she will have only one name on her lips and I have to admit that he is really quite fit. Even though it is still majorly gross when you hear your mother talk about “doing” some guy that is almost the same age as you... but that's something for my therapist to deal with later on. The guy in question is of course the beautiful Lee Mead.


He may have won the competition but there was was another who stole my heart.





Mr Ben Ellis!




I can't help it he makes my knees go all weak and stuff.


He was eliminated in like the 2nd last week! It was horrible – especially as it brought back memories of when Rob Mills was eliminated from Australian Idol.

Anyway because it took too long for Any Dream Will Do? to air in Australia the Production of Joseph And The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat (starring mum's honey Lee) had already finished... Unfortunately it meant that the production of Hairspray that stared none other then BEN ELLIS himself had also ended.



Sadness abounds!






But do not despair because both these boys had moved on to bigger and better things. Lee was staring in Wicked. Which was awesomely good because mum had just seen the Australian production so she wasn't that keen to see it again. Which meant that I was free to point her in the direction of Dreamboats and Petticoats the cast of which had recently been joined by a youngster by the name of Ben James-Ellis (he changed his name for some union crap I mean reason).

So the moment I saw Dreamboats and Petticoats on the list... and that the tickets were half price, there was no turning back.

Boy am I glad I didn't. The show was fantastic. It had all this great early sixties music which mum loved (I did too but not in the same nostalgic way as her).

It was as if Ben had been made for the part of smooth talking crooner, Norman (yes really Norman). I swooned the moment he walked on the stage and took the mic (especially when he ripped open his shirt – but don't tell my father). He's got a bit of pudge that makes him all the more cuter. So by the time he came out at for the encore of “Let's Twist Again” I couldn't help myself but get up and dance!

Don't freak out with embarrassment, everyone else was dancing too. It was sooo much fun.

If you want a fun easy night out... where you don't have to think but you do get to have a good time then I would suggest seeing Dreamboats and Petticoats.

That was the tale of my future lover (well one of many).


Stay tuned for more London shenanigans!


xx

Von

No comments: