Sunday, April 13, 2014

Totally Touristing: Hollywoodland Day 1 & 2



DAY ONE:


This will come as a surprise to no one but flying from Sydney to LA really takes it out on you. Even with the good drugs (thanks doc) I only got about 20 mins sleep. But when I finally made it the hostel - after navigating what is still the worst airport in the world - I was determined to power though until at least 8pm. NGL it was touch and go for a moment when I first lay down on my bed because it was the most beautiful feeling in the world but I got up (thanks to my lovely new room mate) and ventured onto Hollywood Blvd.

TBH I wasn't really doing all that much touristing because I was just trying to find somewhere to buy a SIM card for my phone, which is apparently impossible anywhere in Hollywood. Either everyone already has a phone or no one has to make phone calls. But whatever once I left the main drag I eventually found a T-Mobile so now I have contact with the outside world. Yay. If you're in the US and you want my number then you can't have it because I am not handing out my number to strangers on the Internet. Besides everyone knows Twitter is the best way to contact me.


ANYWAY, after my phone finding mission was a success (riveting story, I know) I decided it was time for some eats. I wasn't actually that hungry but I saw an iHop so I couldn't not go in (double negative - it's a drag). Then I ate enough pancakes to feed a children's football team and decided that was about all I could take for a day because you know, jet lag.


DAY TWO:  


Having fallen asleep at about 8pm the night before I was up by about 6 this morning, which was good in a way because I got first dibs on breakfast and if you’ve ever stayed in a hostel you will know how important that is. There were pancakes available but after eating my weight in them the night before I just couldn’t stomach it so I stuck to the traditional toast with MANY cups of that brown flavoured water they call coffee here.

Eventually – the lovely couple of girls I met in the hostel woke up and graciously allowed me to tag along on their adventures, which involved one of those Celebrity homes tours. Not really my thing, and to be perfectly honest it kind of crept me out a little (read about it here) but the girls were decent company so that made up for it.

SIDE NOTE: Mum, I saw Channing Tatum’s house and it made me think of you. 

After our invasive, stalky and not particularly entertaining tour, we decided it was time to get some eats. After the pancake fest the night before, we really needed something healthy, so we moved off Hollywood Blvd in search of something that wasn’t going to give us a premature heart attack.

The trouble with being in a city you don’t know, particularly one like LA where everything is very spread out. It’s hard to find where the eating happens. (Although I have already located an In & Out – I haven’t tried it yet). So after wandering for a bit we decided to stop someone and ask if there was anywhere nearby they could recommend. The guy told us to look it up on our phones. Asshole. I know what tourists can be like, but I always try to be nice to them back home because I know how hard it can be.  Don’t be a dick, it’s not hard to politely say that you don’t know.

After that we decided to head back to the hostel and ask about eats there. They had a folder full of options – not many that were particularly healthy. In the end we just decided screw it and went to California Pizza Kitchen because hey, at least we know they offer salad.


It was pretty cool actually, in a lame touristy kind of way because we could see the Hollywood sign from where we were sitting. I know any locals are probs laughing at me, but who even cares. It was cool. So was the cocktail I had with lunch as we discussed the best way to spot a celebrity in LA. One of the girls I was with was VERY into celebrities. She didn’t have Twitter though, which was surprising. Where else can you follow a celebrities every move and possible even have direct contact with them? Anyway I actually have no idea where to spot celebrities, except maybe on film sets or at official events.


Once we were fed and pleasantly buzzed, we decided to check out the Chinese Theatre where I stepped into Robert Pattinson’s feet for a moment. I was drop dead gorgeous, everyone liked me and I was in a successful movie franchise. It was the worst. It was so exhausting that I needed to lie down. But that could have been the jetlag.

I swear I only meant to rest my head for a moment but then I opened my eyes and it was 7pm. Whoops. There were tentative plans to join the hostel pub crawl but I was shattered so that just wasn’t going to happen. But I thought it best to get up for a little while so that I could actually sleep that night. So I grabbed the hostel girls and we headed down Hollywood Blvd for a nighttime stroll.

While Hollywood Blvd is actually better at night (apart from the creepy people but I mean, we only got flashed once) we were all so buggered that it wasn’t really going anywhere so we decided to stop at a restaurant we saw randomly. Mainly because there was nobody in there and we figured the food would be fast at least.

Luckily we did because we met a couple of really nice people, and got a bunch of free drinks to boot! They were lovely. Okay one of the guys spent the whole night telling us all about his ex-girlfriend who broke his heart – I know everything about this girl, I even know what she looks like so if I see her on the street I can… not do anything because she doesn’t have to like this dude if she doesn’t want to. But other than that it was actually pretty fun. Always nice to meet and chat with locals.


Free drinks you know. Yup.   

No comments: