Thursday, May 1, 2008

Existential Much - Torchwood Season Two

Channel Ten still having the right for Torchwood and not wanting to do anything about it has forced me to do something that I would never do under most circumstances. I had to download it I feel really bad about it but desperate times call for desperate measures. This of course is not the point of this blog, the point of this blog is to tell you how AWESOME this show is!

All right I am a little bit bias because I am a huge Doctor Who fan. I also happen to have a slight partiality to handsome men making out with each other, but despite that I have to say that Torchwood is one of the best Sci-Fi programs on the television at the moment. It has great special effects, a handsome cast and some of the most interesting and intriguing characters I have seen lately.

The Season started with a Bang in the episode Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang which featured Buffy's James Masters as one of Jack's less than reputable Ex- Lovers Captain John Hart. This is one of the reasons I was excited to see this new Season, having been in love with James Masters as Spike for so many years and Torchwood did not disappoint. The first meeting of the Captains starts with an extremely passionate kiss and ends in fisty-cuffs.

Ladies and any of you gentlemen out there willing to admit it, if you see anything you need to see this kiss. Two hot handsome manly men in World War II army dress grabbing each other and kissing so passionately that you can feel it.



This is so hot its not funny, but there is not just sex in this show (though there appears to be allot more of that in this season then there was in the first one) there are allot of tender moments. Jack and Ianto despite having a mostly physical relationship in the first Season appear to be getting quite attached to each other. The sad thing is that I have a feeling that the attachment is mostly on Ianto's part, and Ianto is just so sweet that you never want to see him hurt.

The main problem with Jack and Ianto's relationship is the apparent attraction between Gwen and Jack, Gwen even admitting that she loved Jack (and then taking an amnesia pill in Adam). I don't really know who I want Jack to be with more, I am just praying that there is another series so that I can see where this triangle progresses, however pointless it may be. No one can really "end-up" with Jack he is immortal and he doesn't really age either one of these relationships would end in tears.

At the end of this series we say goodbye to two of the regular cast members, Owen Harper and Toshiko Sato in Exit Wounds. I really liked both of these characters and I shed more then one tear to see them go. In a way I think that it was a good choice, over the first Season we dealt with Tosh's unrequited love for Owen, but Torchwood is not the kind of show that would see a happy ending if these two did manage to get together, so it was somehow relieving to see them together (over the comm system) until the end. I have to say though that Owen's death was not a particularly lovely thought.

I cannot wait to see where this series will take us, I just hope that we get the chance to see it and it does not go the way of Firefly. The only issue that I do have with Torchwood is that it does not seem to have as cheerful a view on life (and death) as I like to keep. Some parts have the definite taste of the existentialist view of Russell T. Davies even though he has not contributed to this series since the first episode.

I happen to love this grown up Doctor Who with Captain Jack and his unmatched charm, also being Australian I am partial to the charm of the English or in some cases Welsh accent. Not that Jack has the accent but definitely the charm. I love him almost as much as I love David Tennant's Doctor Who.

Torchwood so far is not set to play in Australia, and knowing Channel Ten it will probably not be played until after the rating period. This is disappointing because we are lacking in good television at the moment. I guess I will just have to wait until Doctor Who Season Four starts up again.

No comments: